First Event is excited to welcome back to our event Karen Marks, CiCi Eberle and the First Event Jazz Cafe and Open Mic! After singer/songwriters Linda Marks and Cici Eberle do an opening set, the mic will be open to musicians from the First Event community! One vocal mic will be available, as well as Linda’s stage piano or an amp to plug in your guitar (please bring your own DI cord). Please sign up in advance, so we know who will be playing! To sign up before the conference, drop a note to firstname.lastname@example.org, and let us know what you will be doing (singing? instrument?). We look forward to seeing and hearing you!
Ro has performed at the legendary Club Passim (Cambridge, MA), Tupelo Music Hall (Londonderry, NH), and The Vanilla Bean (Pomfret, CT). He has opened for many accomplished acts including Meg Hutchinson, Vance Gilbert, Edie Carey, and Anne Heaton. He has also shared the stage with folks like Rose Polenzani, Nicole Reynolds, Melissa Ferrick, and Lucy Wainright Roche. He was the recipient of an Iguana Grant from Club Passim in 2008, a grant that awards approximately $45,000 in grants to independent musicians across New England every year. He was a 2016 Kerrville New Folk Finalist.
Kerr Griffin is an Americana crooner, DIY musician, transgender man and veteran of the Boston area cover band scene. After developing a chronic allergy to sequins and “Superfreak”, he decided to strike out on his own writing and performing the lyrically-driven acoustic music he’d always loved. Since then he’s been cultivating his own unique brand of acoustic rock that feels new but with roots that are comfortingly familiar.
All of us at First Event want to send a big FIRST EVENT THANK YOU to the following organizations for mentioning First Event to their members! We invite everyone to check them out! Many thanks to….
Just a quick correction to postcards TCNE/First Event handed out at the Transgender Day of Remembrance in Boston. On the cards we want to update the following:
- Free AIDs Testing: We had stated we are offering free AIDs testing to anyone who would like to participate. The postcards should have read, “We are offering free HIV/HCV/STI testing to anyone who would like to participate”
- Facebook Page for First Event: We had listed the wrong address for our Facebook page for First Event. The correct link is https://www.facebook.com/First.Event.Boston/
Thanks for asking! There’s lots new at First Event 2019 as we build on our great successes over the past several decades and continue to expand our reach to support the broad transgender and gender non-conforming community.
Here are some of the new things we are most excited about:
- New programming by and for transgender people of color.
- Enhanced transmasculine programming.
- The First Event Ball, presented by New England Mother Legendary Athena West, 11pm-2am Saturday night. This is NOT to be missed. Want to know what to expect? Check out Athena’s World Aids Ball or watch the new FX show Pose. Even better – attend Athena’s Ball December 1st in Roxbury, sponsored by TCNE/First Event.
- A transgender wellness track on Saturday, with free HIV/HCV/STI testing and a full day of workshops dedicated to our physical, emotional, and mental health.
- Sunday workshops and vendors. Our conference is just getting too big to wrap up Sunday morning, so we have extended more programming into Sunday.
We are always tweaking existing programming to better serve you and to make room for all of the great new stuff. Some key changes this year:
- Youth and family track is moved to Sunday. In addition to the dedicated day on Sunday, youth and families are encouraged to attend workshops and events throughout the conference.
- More mingling at the fashion show. The fashion show isn’t just about our models – it’s a chance for all of us to see and be seen. We’ve switched to a social dinner reception format to allow us to eat and mingle together.
What do you think? Let us know with a comment below.
Rooms are now available to First Event attendees at the discounted rate of $132/night. This rate is for single or double occupancy, including a breakfast buffet. Book directly with the hotel for the best rate and to give back to TCNE/First Event. The Best Western will donate $25 for every room booked direct!
At the time of this article writing, there are only 148 days until First Event 2019. So while you are waiting for First Event, why not volunteer to help others? The TCNE and First Event Teams are having another Volunteering and Visibility day on September 15th @Rosie’s Place in Boston.
The event is Saturday, September 15 at 10:30 AM – 1:30 PM, Rosie’s Place 889 Harrison Ave Boston, MA 0211 and we’ll be volunteering to cook, serve and clean up a meal for 75-150 women and children in Rosie’s dining room. This is a great opportunity to give back. To learn more and to sign up to join us, click over to the TCNE (Tran Club of New England) website at this link: Volunteering and Visibility Day at Rosie’s Place.